Taking Care of Yourself 101

10603375_10206039947979826_7180490469372092195_n

Happy Monday! I hope all of you are having a great week so far…

First of all, I want to wish my amazing boyfriend, Zach, a happy early birthday! We are celebrating by going to dinner tomorrow and this weekend we are headed to Monterey for a little R&R 🙂

Actually, R&R (Rest & Relaxation) is what I wanted to talk about today. I was trying to think of what I wanted my first official blog post to be about, and then it hit me.

Like many young women, I have struggled with depression. I began struggling a bit with my feelings in high school, but it really hit me hard when I first went off to college because I wasn’t taking care of my mind & body. I wasn’t taking ‘me time’ and was focusing on 100 other things: (being in a sorority, hanging out with friends, school, nannying, etc). I ended up getting depressed and before I knew it, I was really struggling to juggle all of the things that I could before. I wasn’t taking the time out of my day to do things that made me happy.

Now that I’m 22 and wise (Not that wise.. but I definitely know what I can handle!), I have been doing so much better with my mental health. Where I am today would shock my 18-20 year old self, and I’m so proud about that.

I wanted to share some of the things that I do to keep me motivated, happy, and cheerful. Maybe some of these things can help you too.

1. Getting at least 7 hours of sleep

Ok, I know this isn’t always possible. But I know for myself, I have to work hard to get those sleep hours because it truly helps me. No one should be awake at 4am surfing social media/watch T.V. It’s not good for you! Plus, the next day would always be such a struggle for me to work/study/etc and it would effect my performance, which would therefor effect my mood! I promise if you try and sleep more at night, your mood will change for the better. It helps me to read (a book.. not the kindle!) before bed.

2. Picking out a hobby

One thing that I didn’t have for a long time was an actual hobby. In high school, it was sports (I ran cross country and played lacrosse). When I went to college, I joined a sorority and that took up a lot of my time. However, being in a group wasn’t really an actual hobby for me, it was more just hanging out with friends. I figured out my hobby recently, and it’s made me so much happier. I love to bake! Yes, it might not be the healthiest thing in the world, but I don’t really eat what I end up baking. I end up gifting my baked goods, and it lifts my spirits up so high. I love trying new recipes out, trying recipes over and over and perfecting them, and having my friends & family tell me how much they enjoy my baking. Ultimately, finding a hobby can really lift your spirits, and get your mind off of the stressors that are in your life at the moment.

3. ‘Me Time’

For the last couple years, it’s been go-go-go 24/7. I would wake up in the morning, go to work, then go to class, then study, then eat dinner and then after that, head off to bed, and repeat. I did not find the time to focus on myself. I would mainly focus on others, and while that can be a good thing, it wasn’t in my case. I would end up burning myself out, and then avoiding all of my responsibilities all together. Now, I make time for myself every single day. The ‘Me Time’ can be 5 minutes some days, to an hour other days. During that time, I try to do a face mask, take a bath, or try a new hair product. It’s something that makes me happy and usually benefits my skin or body. You can’t be happy without focusing on yourself sometimes, and this has really helped me.

4. Working Out

I won’t lie to you and say that I do this every single day. That is far from the truth. I need to actually take my own advice and work out more. But I do know that when I go to the gym, I am happier all around. When I work out, I feel better about my body, myself, and it always lifts my spirits. It can even be a quick 20-30 minutes, and I promise you will feel better, in both your mind and body.

I’m so glad to open up to everyone about what has helped me in the last year, especially in the last 6 months. I’m feeling so happy and rejuvenated, and I hope that if you are struggling, especially with depression, that you work on yourself and put yourself first. Talking to someone about what you’re feeling is a good thing, and definitely don’t keep those thoughts to yourself.

xo,

Emma

23 comments

1. Teri Sortzi says:

Hi Emma, I think your post is spot on! I especially like the making ‘me time’. I think women sometimes forget this important step.

• Emma Wicks says:

Hi Teri,
      Thank you so so much for taking the time to comment. My first comment on the blog! 🙂 The ‘me time’ is so important, at least for me. I’m glad you enjoyed the post and thank you for coming by.
      -Emma

2. Well said Emma! I couldnt agree with you more. I too have tried some of your suggestions out and they definitely help. 💕

3. Stacey Fisher Kersey says:

Emma,

You should be so proud of yourself! What an inspiration you are for young girls out there and very brave of you to be so open on a topic a lot of people don’t like to talk about. Keep up the awesome work and congratulations on your new blog! I know your sweet mom is so proud of her daughter….they did a beautiful job raising you.

4. Nicole C L says:

I sometimes have to make myself work out, but I always feel so much better when I do! The more I workout, the more I want to work out.

5. SLEEP. Yes, soooo key! I need to go to bed pretty soon to be refreshed tomorrow.

6. Cristina says:

I’m happy that I became aware of this in my early 20’s. Obviously, I can’t stick to it 100%, but I constantly remind myself that I should take care both of my mind and body.

7. Johanne says:

I’m lucky to be able to ged at least 8 hours of sleep every night (except for when I lie awake at night), but it can make or break your day. Definitely! Me-time is one of the most important things I do to take care of myself. If I don’t want to think about anything at all, I read a book, watch Netflix or just lie on the couch with my boyfriend and cat.

8. Ugh taking care of ourselves is so much work, am I right? lol I’m a self-confessed “caregiver” personality and have to fight my tendency to put other people first and lose myself. As a MAJOR advocate for mental health and personal wellness (to the point of creating a volunteer blog on the topic http://www.informedandempowered.com ) I have to hold myself accountable for my self care at every turn lol. I find that, for me, taking care of myself ALWAYS begins with good boundaries – it’s the only way I can ensure I find time for my needs lol

9. These are all great tips to take better care of yourself! I have the sleep down pat for sure lately. 🙂 I need at least 8 hours though. It’s crazy how much a difference between a half hour makes for me.

10. Walker Wicks says:

So proud of you Em! Perfect way to start off the blog, honest and supportive. Keep up the amazing work

11. These are fabulous suggestions Emma! I think self care is so so important. I always prioritize sleep and exercise followed by a hobby for myself (blogging) and me time. Taking time to care of yourself pays off in a BIG way.

12. […] you missed my last blog post, I opened up and made myself pretty vulnerable. Click here to read […]